Thursday, May 15, 2008

California Court Affirms Right to Gay Marriage

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the economy but I though it was interesting.This was in today's New York Times. What is your take on this? How do you think this will play out in the general election?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/16/us/15cnd-marriage.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

1 comment:

Dustin Phillips said...

To be honest, I don't think it will matter in the general election. All three candidates (Bama, Cane, and Hill) all share very similar positions on Gay marriage. The only real difference they have is on civil unions, a.k.a. tax and health benefits.

I am excited to see freedom in America; we are still the "home of the free". While I do not necessarily agree with gay marriage, I do support the gay community and individual freedom. Besides, marriage was at one point in time a religious institution but has been high jacked by wonderful government oversight. If the government is going to regulate marriage, I think it must treat it like any other regulated religious institution (i.e prayer in public school); create a level and all-inclusive playing field.

If American citizens who pay their taxes, fight in our military, and contribute to our society desire to marry, even if they are GAY, let them. How does God view government regulated "marriage" anyway? What is marriage in a 21st century context? If we are so into being biblical, why aren't we stoning divorcees?