Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Courts Get It Right!

Wow! An American court sides with individual and family rights over the State...unreal! Though I detest polygamy and child abuse, I am glad to see kids that who were unjustly separated from their families returned home. A short term removal from the ranch made sense to ensure their safety but complete removal for no reason; come on.

I love this quote from the article: "The appeals court said the state was wrong to consider the entire ranch as an individual household and that the state could not take all the children from a community on the notion that some parents in the community might be abusers."

Read the full article here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24777095/

1 comment:

The Minute Men said...

I think much of this mess with the polygamists comes from mis-understanding. Many people hear the word 'fundalmetalist mormon' and freak out because of all the bad press in recent years with Warren Jeffs and all. I was glad to hear the court ruling. It seemed arbitraty how they went about deciding who was abusing children and who wasnt. There needs to be a better way of assessing child abuse in these communities. Stopping people like Warren Jeffs is a must, be we cant play Spanish Inquisition every time we come across a religious group we find 'weird'.